What if I told you that you could cut your workout time in half(!) over the course of your week and still get the results you want to see…?
The 40-minute training session is what we value at After it Training. We think you can get much of the same benefits, if not more, by really making your workout as efficient as possible.
Sound too good to be true?
We don't think so. Here are some of the benefits, backed by scientific research.
- A 20 minute workout of alternating high/low intensity burns more calories that a 20-minute workout of steady intensity.
- HIIT targets both the aerobic and anaerobic systems, while most cardio addresses only the aerobic system.
- Studies show that 27 minutes of HIIT 3X/wk produces the same aerobic and anaerobic improvement as 60 minutes of cardio 5X/wk.
Training this way requires commitment
While training this way will definitely save you time, that doesn't mean you can show up on any given day and expect to be performing up to your standard.
In our TribeFit classes, which are 40-minute high capacity workouts, we've found out that you should train a minimum of 3 times per week in order to be progressing your performance.
Value Movement over Load
Just because your training session is 40 min, that doesn't mean you should be training like a maniac. One must be able to express the proper movement in each and every lift that you are doing.
Recovery is Key
Training this way, of course it will take a toll on your musculature. As does every other way of training. Make sure and take the proper recovery measures to re-fuel and re-establish your body for the next training session.
Keep these things in mind and you will be on your way to being a more successful and efficient human being in the gym.
Be well and stay after it,
Sources/Studies done by:
- Dept. of Physiology and Biomechanics. National institute of fitness and sports, Kanoya City, Japan 1996.
- Dept. of Kinesiology, McMasters University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada 2009.
Author: Nick Murrieta
Personal Training; Personal Trainer; Tempe, Mesa, Scottsdale, Phoenix, Chandler, Gilbert, Ahwatukee, AZ, Arizona, Fitness.